- 2 medium tomatoes, choppped
- 1/2 tsp hing(asoefetida)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut, shredded
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 very small ball of tamarind , de-seeded
- 1 small onion, minced finely
- 2 clovettes of garlic, minced finely
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
- Heat 1/2 the amount of oil and add the methi. Fry for a minute and then add the tomatoes. Fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Blend this into a smooth paste, along with the tamarind and the coconut. Set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and add the chopped garlic and onion. Fry till the onion turns translucent and the garlic browns.
- Now add the spices(red chilli, turmeric and dhania) and fry for half a minute. Add the blended paste, salt and hing and heat through.
- Goes very well with plain rice or chapati.