Making time: 45 minutes
Makes: 20 pieces (approx.)
Ingredients For cover:
- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp. warm oil
- water to knead dough
- 2 potatoes large boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies crushed
- 1/2 tsp. ginger crushed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juice extracted
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds crushed
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry
Method For dough:
- Make well in the flour.
- Add oil, salt and little water.Mix well till crumbly.
- Add more water little by little, kneading into soft pliable dough. Cover with moist cloth, keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Beat dough on worksurface and knead again. Re-cover.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil, add ginger, green chilli, garlic, coriander seeds. Stir fry for a minute, add onion, saute till light brown.
- Add coriander, lemon, turmeric, salt, red chilli, garam masala. Stir fry for 2 minutes, add potatoes. Stir further 2 minutes.
- Cool. Keep aside.
- Make a thin 5" diam. round with some dough.
- Cut into two halves. Run a moist finger along diameter. Join and press together to make a cone.
- Place a tbsp. of filling in the cone and seal third side as above.
- Make five to six. Put in hot oil, deep fry on low to medium till light brown. Do not fry on high, or the samosas will turn out oily and soggy.
- Drain on rack or kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys (refer chutneys), or tomato sauce.