Serves: 6 helpings
Time required: 1/2 hour.
- 1 litre milk
- 1/2 tsp. citric acid
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2-3 drops rose essence
- Heat the milk and bring to boil.
- Cool the milk for a couple of hours. Remove the cream layer. Reheat the milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the citric acid dissolved in some water. Stir slowly till the milk is fully curdled.
- Keep as it is for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the sugar and water in a wide sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Strain the milk through a muslin cloth. Wash the chenna in the cloth under cold running water. Press out the excess water and remove in a wide plate.
- Gently knead into a soft dough by passing between fingers. Make twelve equal sized balls of the dough.
- Let them into the boiling water. Cover with a perforated lid. Boil for 13 to 15 minutes. Take off from heat and cool them to room temperature.
- Add essence and chill for at least 4 to 5 hours.