Potato Pakora - Aloo Pakora
Potato Pakora - Thinly sliced potatoes in gram flour batter. This is another savoury snack which can be served at high teas. It is also a good starter to a main meal. Potato lovers will enjoy this dish. Most children are very fond of potato pakoras. For this recipe you need a deep frying pan or wok.
Preparation and cooking time: 30 mins.
- 170g (6oz) besan flour (gram flour)
120ml (4fl oz) water
340g (12oz) potatoes, peeled and sliced finely, similar to crisps, but slightly thicker
¾ tsp garlic powder
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp chilli powder
¾ tsp garam masala
¾ tsp turmeric powder
600ml (20fl oz) cooking oil for frying
1. Sieve the gram flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Mix the flour, water, potatoes, garlic powder, salt, chilli powder, garam masala, and turmeric powder well.
3. Heat the cooking oil to a high temperature in a wok or deep frying pan. Pick each potato piece individually from the mixture and place it in the hot oil until you have about 10 pieces. The pakoras will float in the oil, and each side should be deep fried until it is golden orange. With a sieve, drain the pakoras.
4. Repeat with the remaining pakoras and serve while hot.