Cooking time: 45 minutes.
Yield: 40 medium sized pieces.
- Besan (chick-pea flour) 1 cup
- Sugar 1 1/2 cups
- Ghee 2 cups
- Water 1 3/4 cups
1.Dissolve the sugar in the water and heat it.
2.Keep stirring till you get a thread consistency.
- You can check for this by feeling the syrup between your fore-finger and thumb. (If the syrup has reached the required consistency, then you will able to pull it out like a thread).
- Remove all the lumps in the chick-pea flour and add it to the syrup, 1 table spoon at a time.
- Reduce the heat and add 2 teaspoons of ghee.
- Stir, till the flour and ghee has completely blended with the syrup.
- Repeat procedure 2 till you finish all of the Besan
- Continue to stir and keep adding ghee 1tsp. at a time till the mixture changes color and texture. At one point, you will observe that the mixture is not able to absorb any more ghee. Also, the whole mixture becomes porous and starts leaving the edges of the Vessal.
- At this point, transfer the mixture into a greased plate and with a spatula press the mixture down till the excess ghee surfaces. Do not remove the excess ghee.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Then, cut it into desired shape and wait for another 10 minutes. Carefully remove each piece and arrange on the serving tray.