Minced Lamb Curry
Minced Lamb Curry -- This is a dry curry usually served with chapattis or pitta bread. It also makes excellent filling for toasted sandwiches. Bay leaves may be added to give the curry a nice fragrance and a slightly sharper taste. For this recipe you need a liquidizer.
Preparation and cooking time: 50 mins.
10g (½ oz) fresh garlic, peeled
25g (1oz) fresh ginger, peeled
3 green chillies
60ml (2fl oz) cooking oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tsp tomato purée
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp tandoori masala
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves (optional)
340g (12oz) minced lamb
600ml (20fl oz) water
Small amount green dhanyia (coriander), chopped
1. Place the garlic, ginger, and green chillies into a liquidizer and chop finely.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Cook the onion until it is golden brown. Now add the liquidizer contents, tomato purée, turmeric powder, chilli powder, tandoori masala, garam masala, salt (and bay leaves if used). Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
3. Add the mince, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Add the water, cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently for a further 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Transfer the contents to a serving dish and garnish with fresh green coriander. Serve while hot.
6. The bay leaves (if used) are discarded while eating and left on the plate.