Making time: 1 hour (excluding soaking and cooling times)
Makes: 10-12 pieces
Shelf life: 2-3 days
Ingredients For cover:
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- cold water to knead dough
- 1 cup yellow moong dal washed and soaked for 1/2 hour
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp. fennel (saunf) seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped salt to taste
- 2-3 pinches asafoetida
- 1 tbsp. oil
- oil to deep fry
- 1 tsp plain flour for patching
Mix flour, salt and oil, knead into soft pliable dough. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Put plenty of water to boil. Add dal. Boil dal for 5 minutes, drain.
- Cool a little. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Add all seeds whole and crushed allow to splutter. Add asafoetida, mix. Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well. Do not smash the dal fully.
- But enough to make the mixture hold well. Remove from fire, cool.
- Divide into 15 portions.
- Shape into balls with greased palms. Keep aside.
- Make a paste with water, of flour for patching. Keep aside.
- Take a pingpong ball sized portion of dough. Knead into round. Roll into 4" diam. round. Place one ball of filling at centre.
- Pick up round and wrap ball into it like a pouch. Break off excess dough carefully.
- Do not allow cover to tear.
- Press the ball with palm, making it flattish and round. Repeat for 4-5 kachories.
- Deep fry in hot oil, on low flame only.
- If the kachori get a hole anywhere, apply some paste. Return to oil and finish frying.
- Turn and repeat for other side.
- Fry till golden and crisp. Small bubbles must appear over kachori. Drain and serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
Note: Take care to fry on low. Hurried frying will result in soggy and oily kachories.