Froen Chicken Curry
Froen Chicken Curry - This is a mild to medium hot chicken curry. It is usually served with a rice dish, or chapattis. You can either use fresh green chillies (if you like curry dishes hot) or a fresh green pepper for milder taste. Parsley or coriander can be used for garnishing. For this recipe you need a liquidizer.
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hr 20 mins.
900g (2lb) frozen chicken pieces, thawed
25g (1oz) fresh garlic, peeled
25g (1oz) fresh ginger, peeled
3 green chillies or 1 green pepper, chopped (dependent on taste)
60ml (2fl oz) cooking oil
3 large onions, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp tandoori masala
3 tsp tomato purée
170g (6oz) plum peeled tomatoes
2 tsp salt Parsley or green fresh dhanyia (coriander), chopped
1. Remove the skin from the chicken pieces.
2. Place the garlic, ginger and green chillies (or green pepper) in a liquidizer and process until finely chopped.
3. Heat the oil to a high temperature in a pan. Add the chopped onions and cook until they are golden brown. Add the chicken pieces, the contents of the liquidizer, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, tandoori masala, tomato purée, tomatoes and salt. Stir continuously for a few minutes.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes, keeping the pan covered all the time.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh dhanyia (coriander).
6. The bones are discarded while eating and left on the plate.