Basic Spice Mix
Basic Spice Mix - There are some basic spices that are used in most dishes. If you understand what they are then it makes it easy for you to make vegetables dishes, dals and seasonings for salad. It’s up to you to increase or decrease certain spices plus add or remove them. The general amount of spices you will use will vary. This amount is for 500 gms of vegetables.
• 2 tsp oil
• 1 tsp mustard seeds
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 pinch asafoetida
• 8 ‐ 10 curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• Pinch chilli powder ‐ optional
• 2 tsp grated ginger
These are popular ingredients to add towards or at the end.
• Fresh coriander leaves
• Sugar / jaggery
• Fresh or dried coconut
• Roasted peanut powder
1. Heat the oil but don’t let it smoke.
2. Add the mustard seeds.
3. When they pop add the cumin seeds, then asafoetida, curry leaves, turmeric, coriander powder, chilli powder and ginger. Make sure that the spices do not burn.
4. Next add vegetables or dal or add the mix to salads or chutneys.
* There are many other spices that can be added such as cinnamon, clove, aniseed, fennel, ajwain, cumin powder and so on.